Music not only has the power to stimulate the mind, enrich the heart and soothe the soul; it also helps you meet educational objectives and learning outcomes for your students.
Welcome to Owen-Withee Elementary Music page!! Here, you will find out what your child is learning in their music classes. Below, you will find a brief description of how my music classes are run-and the general scope and sequence of our year together! Please contact me with any questions or concerns you may have! My contact information can be found on my Welcome page!
The Elementary General Music Program is provided to every student in grades
K-5, and meets for a series of 45-minute classes for kindergarten through 5th Grade. Overall characteristics of the program include:
In kindergarten, the focus is on developing a sense of the steady beat and matching pitch. During 1st and 2nd grade, students are introduced to musical concepts and vocabulary by revisiting the activities that were presented the previous school year. In 3rd and 4th grade, students begin playing the soprano recorder and focus on strengthening their ensemble singing and playing skills. During 5th grade, students challenge and apply their musicianship skills and knowledge of music in culminating project-based experiences.
- All students are actively engaged in activities that represent a wide range of musical processes
- Classes are characterized by a layered elemental ensemble approach – this begins with speech, movement, and song and then extends to adding ostinatos or accompaniment on a varied array of instruments.
- Solfege syllables and hand signs are used as a bridge to reading and writing music notation
- Program decisions are based on the ongoing assessment of students as they participate in elementary music activities
- Activities are adapted for individual differences including cultural diversity, English language learners, and special need students
- The Elementary General Music program provides opportunities for students to demonstrate their skills and abilities – the musical accomplishments of students are presented in concerts for the school and community.
Goals and Objectives
The goal of the Elementary General Music program at Owen-Withee Elementary school is to provide students with opportunities to develop knowledge and understanding of music through consistent interaction with the basic components of music. Owen-Withee music students will:
Music learning objectives are based on both music concepts and music skills. The concepts are grouped into seven components: pitch, duration, loudness, timbre, texture, form, and style. These components constitute the essential structural-stylistic dimensions of music.
- Build and develop their musicianship and critical thinking skills – these include: singing, playing/performing on instruments, moving/dancing, creating, reading/notating, and listening/analyzing/describing.
- Create and expand their knowledge and understanding about the dimensions of music: expression, rhythm, form, melody, timbre, texture and harmony.
- Consider a variety of music from different genres and be able to communicate personal attitudes about and preferences for particular music with informed reasoning.
- Cultivate a life-long enjoyment of, curiosity about, and appreciation for music.